Murray McMurray Hatchery
Information & Review
Murray McMurray Hatchery is one of the most common hatcheries to purchase chicks and other poultry online. We have had many wonderful experiences with Murray McMurray hatchery and wanted to share that information with you.
This review is from personal experience and meant to help readers with their online purchase decisions. We were absolutely not compensated and did not receive anything in exchange for this post. If, it any time we are compensated for posts or reviews, a full disclosure will always be noted.
Who is Murray McMurray Hatchery?
Based out of Iowa, McMurray hatchery was started back in 1917 by a young man who enjoyed poultry, especially showing birds at fairs and events. What started out as a small side business, to his banking business, ended up one of the earliest mail order chick companies. Still today, McMurray is a well known name in the industry. The full story of McMurray.
Why we like McMurray
- Excellent customer service– I have never waited on hold, been transferred or been provide in correct information. Staff is always friendly and helpful.
- Pricing– McMurray prices their chicks very fairly. I have noticed that some breeds seem to be a bit more expensive than on other websites. But, in my opinion with chickens, you absolutely get what you pay for. McMurray’s chicks come from beautiful, healthy breeding stock.
- A surprise in every box!- McMurray offers a “surprise chick” with every order. It can be anything from a fancy to a bantam, or s super egg laying breed. It is such a genius idea. I have friends who order from McMurray specifically for this reason.
- Availability- chick availability is outlined clearly and specifically by breed and sex. You will always know which is available and when. This is especially helpful at the beginning of the season when chicks are just starting to hatch and everything may not be available.
- User Friendly Website- when I first decided to order chicks online, I did a lot of shopping around. One thing that stood out, McMurray’s website. It is easy to navigate and has all the information you need in obvious places. My favorite feature is the chick selector. If you are looking for specific characteristics, but aren’t sure what breed exhibits those traits use their chick selector. For example. you want to buy chicks that will lay colored eggs. You can choose blue eggs from the “egg color” drop down menu. It is so fun! I do wish they would lighten up the site a bit, the colors are kind of drab, but those seem to be their signature colors and the other positives make up for it.
- Chick replacement or refund- if you receive chicks DOA , just give them a call. They will refund or replace the chicks. This helps you order more confidently.
- You can buy FEMALE chicks! – some hatcheries only offer straight run chicks. This means you do not know if your chicks are males or females (hens or roosters). McMurray offers sexed chicks, you can specifically order just females leaving no guessing game.
Chicks are shipped promptly based on availability and sent directly to your local post office. They come packaged in the appropriate chick box with bedding. Murray McMurray Hatchery also offers juvenile aged birds, waterfowl, game birds and more.
If you are considering ordering chicks online, give them a try. I am confident you will have a wonderful experience. Make sure to come back and let us know how it went and what you ordered!